Praying with the Capitular Acts 2019
Discovering the Treasures of Interculturality
* AUGUST 2020 *
We have to open a way to interculturality
that gives rebirth to a spirituality of communion,
and to reweave true relationships in each of our communities.”
(Capitular Acts 2019 p. 23)
- As I begin my prayer, I ask for the grace of deep respect and sincere acceptance of our individual differences in community.
2. I pray over 1 Cor. 12:12-13.
13 For in one Spirit we were all baptized into one body, whether Jews or Greeks, slaves or free persons, and we were all given to drink of one Spirit.
- A commentary on these two verses says, “Although we are all individual people, and have diverse backgrounds, different experience, varying gifts and individual characteristics we are mutually dependent.
As members of His body we are to work together in holy love and Christian harmony, if Christ is to be made manifest to a broken and hurting world.”
I prayerfully recall events in the past
when I was able to work with my Sisters in community, people in the ministry
despite our differences in backgrounds, experiences, gifts, and characteristics.
I thank the Lord for gifting me with these experiences.
and exert effort to contribute to the unity of the community to which I belong.
3. I read page 23 of our Capitular Acts 2019.
• I become aware and recognize the different realities that belonging to an
international Congregation imply.
• I relish whatever feelings may surface. I express my thanks to God.
4. I read again page 23, especially numbers 4-6.
and providing for reciprocity to eliminate cultural superiority and prejudices.
• Share our cultural differences to connect and respond with sensitivity to the needs of those different from us.
• Provide opportunities for exposure and immersion, in order to experience the richness of living in international communities.
Create venues and occasions for encounters such as fraternal celebrations, festivals, religious events,
and common projects in order to promote interculturality.
I share all these to Jesus and ask Him to bless my effort and the efforts of our Congregation
towards promoting interculturality.
1. What among these given concrete steps do I feel I need to work on in order to contribute to developing a strong intercultural atmosphere in our congregation?
2. Together with my community, we choose one concrete step that we are willing to work on each month in order to develop a strong intercultural atmosphere in our Congregation.